with Landon Arkens at Blast House Studios
Learn how a recording studio functions and assist on real recording sessions with Landon Arkens, Head Engineer at Blast House Studios. Applicants will register for a month's worth of time, which is divided into five session blocks. These blocks can be used for either assistant engineering opportunities or private instruction time with Landon.
Date: This is an ongoing program. You may apply at any time.
The application process is as follows:
- Fill out the application form
- You will receive an email and available times to tour Blast House Studios and meet Landon.
- After determining how we can best serve your interest at the tour and introduction, you’ll fill out the Apprentice Confirmation Form where you’ll set your private instruction time slot and complete the tuition payment.
- Following confirmation you’ll be granted access to view available recording sessions. You may exchange private instruction blocks for assistant engineering opportunities on available recording sessions. Only one Apprentice per session.
Session blocks can be used in two ways:
- Each session block can be used for 1 hour of one on one instruction time with Landon at Blast House Studios. Multiple hours of private instruction may be used at once, with each hour counting as 1 session block. Private instruction time will be rounded to the nearest full hour, no partial hours.
- A session block can be used for an assistant engineering opportunity on a real recording session. Duration of the recording session will vary depending on the client’s booking. The apprentice is required to arrive at the time Landon specifies and can stay as long as they like.
An example of how an apprentice might use their five session blocks might be 2 hours of private instruction over two weeks (one hour per week) and assisting on 3 recording sessions, lasting 3 hours, 8 hours, and 5 hours.
We reserve the right to shift all sessions blocks to private instruction time, pending apprentice timeliness and attitude.
2015 Recording Studio Engineer of the Year - Madison Area Music Awards
Landon earned his Bachelors degree in Music Recording Technology from UW-Oshkosh and quickly moved to New York City in to put it in practice. He worked at Legacy Recording Studios (now Manhattan Sound Recording) from 2005-2008 while it was the largest studio on the east coast and has worked directly with David Gilmour and Roger Waters (Pink Floyd), Paul Simon, Wynton Marsalis, Trey Anastasio, Ice- T, Lloyd Banks, and many others. His home base since 2009 has been Blast House Studios, where he works as the facility's Head Engineer.
Listen to songs from recent projects that Landon has worked on in the player below. Like the songs that grab you or leave a comment! Check out his full client list at www.LandonArkens.com